Thermal Power Plant / EDP
The Thermal Power Plant of Sines is located about 8 kilometres south of the town of Sines, near the coast, at São Torpes. It is a coal-fired power plant, built in the 1980s as part of the industrial area of Sines in order to meet the growing demand for energy, and to reduce oil dependency. It was built and is still operated by EDP, and is also currently the coal-fired power plant generating the greatest power in the country, 1,256 MW spread over 4 groups of 314 MW.
These groups inject the energy generated into the primary 400-kV network, with the exception of group 1, which injects the power into the 150-kV network, directly connected to supplying the southern part of the country. The maximum power generated was initially 298 MW; after the installation of the desulphurisation system, it decreased to 295 MW.
EDP is a leading company in the energy sector and we include in our culture values and commitments regarding our customers, society and environment.
Our vision to be an integrated energy company, a leader in value creation in the markets where we can make a difference is shared by the universe of EDP employees, spread across different continents and countries, a diversity that enriches us and brings us together in the respect for the different cultures of the markets where we operate.
We are among the major European operators in the energy sector; we are one of the largest energy operators of the Iberian Peninsula, the largest Portuguese industrial group and the 3rd largest producer of wind energy.
Besides the electricity sector – generation, distribution and trading – we also have a significant presence in the gas sector of the Iberian Peninsula.
We integrate the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes World for the eighth consecutive year, the world’s most demanding ranking, that distinguishes the best performing companies on issues related to transparency, sustainability and excellence in economic management and social environment.
A global energy company, a leader in value creation, innovation and sustainability.
Trust … in shareholders, customers, suppliers and other stakeholders
Excellence… in the way we do things
Initiative… displayed in our people’s behaviour and attitudes
Innovation… in order to create value in the different areas in which we operate
Sustainability… with a view to improving the quality of life of present and future generations
Commitments to customers
- We put ourselves in our customers’ place whenever we make decisions.
- We listen to our customers and answer simply and transparently.
- We surprise our customers by anticipating their needs.
Commitments to people
- We combine ethical conduct and professional integrity with initiative and focus on teamwork.
- We nurture the development of merit and skills.
- We believe that a work-life balance is essential to our success.
Commitments to sustainability
- We shoulder the social and environmental responsibilities resulting from our actions and contribute to the development of the regions in which we operate.
- We sustainably reduce specific greenhouse gas emissions from the energy we generate.
- We actively promote energy efficiency.
Commitments to results
- We fulfil the commitments that we make to our shareholders.
- We lead by our capacity to anticipate and execute.
- We demand excellence in everything we do.